Crochet is a beautiful way to make bags of all shapes and sizes. While some crochet bags are hard to distinguish from their knit counterparts, many have a unique charm that adds to their personality and makes them stand out from the crowd. And if you're looking for a gift for someone who has everything (and doesn't know how to crochet), these patterns are just the thing. Crochet can be an enjoyable hobby, a relaxing pursuit, or even a way to unwind after a long day. These free crochet bag patterns will give you plenty of ideas for making something fun and valuable for yourself or somebody else.
Crochet bags are one of the most versatile accessories you can make. They can be big or small, simple or adorned with intricate details, and they can be used for everything from a work bag to a beach bag to a purse. Crochet bags are great projects, even if you're starting out crocheting. They usually only take a couple of evenings to finish, so you don't have to invest too much time in them—but if you choose one that takes a little longer, it'll be worth it in the end. There are plenty of free crochet bag patterns available on the Internet, and some even have video tutorials to walk you through each step of the way. So get your hooks and yarn ready!
Here are 15 crochet bag patterns; each bag is a modern twist on the classic style, with the bonus of simultaneously looking gorgeous and warm.
Tips For Crochet Bag Patterns
Crochet bags are a great way to show off your creativity and skill, and they can be made from various materials. When you're working on your first crochet bag pattern, it's good to keep a few things in mind:
Keep it simple: If this is your first time working with crochet bags, try something simple like an oval or rectangular shape. You can always make it more complex later!
-Make sure the straps are long enough to wear comfortably: Your bag must fit comfortably on your shoulder while carrying it around.
If you're making the strap adjustable, make sure the flexible part doesn't get in the way of anything else—you don't want to hit yourself with it while you're wearing it accidentally!
Crochet Bag Patterns:
Pretty Crochet Butterfly Bag:
Every woman's passion is to beautify herself according to fashion and trends. If you love crochet and want to make something pretty for yourself, then the butterfly bag is a great choice. Perfect for storing your favorite things or creating a beautiful gift for anyone. Perfect for storing your favorite items or making a lovely gift for anyone. Make this pretty and colorful butterfly pouch bag. A great way to keep your purse organized and for quick trips out. Makes a beautiful gift.
- Difficulty LevelIntermediate
- Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook
- Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Finished Size33 cm wide, 36 cm long
Free Crochet Pattern Cozy Messenger Bag:
A stylish and sturdy crochet bag that comes in three different sizes. Easy to carry, it can be made with a single skein of cotton light worsted weight yarn and crocheted in any simple pattern stitch. A great everyday bag! This project is quick to make and will only take a few hours to finish. It gives a distinctive look to you. You have the needed button to manage this on your backside. The color selection will be according to your choice if you want
- 3 Balls Lion Brand Hometown USA or super bulky yarn of your choice (colors shown are "Chicago Charcoal" and "Dallas Gray")
- N (9.0 mm) crochet hook
- 1 large button
- Tapestry needle
- Chain (ch)
- Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Single Crochet (sc)
- Double Crochet (dc)
- How to Crochet A Solid Granny Square
Crochet Boardwalk Bag:
This Boardwalk bag is the perfect option if you want to give your friend an instant gift. It takes just a couple of hours to complete, and it's sized perfectly for everyday use. This project is a blast to crochet and has a little bit of everything. The shape is unique, the texture is impressive, and the contrasting color combinations make it perfect for you! Imagine you can use this bag as your everyday purse. If you love this Midnight Mermaids pattern, you'll also love this one! The interchangeable bag is crocheted using a combination of cotton, linen, and viscose yarns, giving the bag great texture. With the addition of a bright button, it makes a perfect accessory for any occasion."
- US-I, 5.5 mm hook (Furls Fiberarts)
- 550 yds (4 skeins) Lion Brand Landscapes (100% acrylic; Aran/10 ply; 147 yards/134 meters; 3.53 ounces; Colorway: Boardwalk)
- Handles (optional – extra yarn required for crocheted handles)
- Buttons (1 or 4, size doesn’t matter)
- Fabric for lining (optional, not shown)
- Gauge: 15 sts x 11 rows = 4″ in hdc
- Finished Size: 17.5″ wide x 12″ tall laid flat, not including handles
Tote Bag Pattern:
This free crochet tote bag pattern is easy to crochet. The main hurdle you have faced is changing colors from one another. This pattern uses cotton yarn. The colors have used green and black, but you can change the color. The summer days are too hot, and people want to do something unique and light-weighted, easy to carry in this hot season. Once you crochet this, you like to carry it all season. Use cotton yarn for this beautiful colorful tote bag.
- worsted weight cotton blend yarn in 2 contrasting colors (approx. 210 yds each), shown here in Berroco Modern Cotton
- US H / 5 mm crochet hook
- yarn needle and scissor
- fabric for lining (optional)
Crochet French Market Bag:
This French Market Bag is an excellent addition to any wardrobe. Handmade with cotton yarn and perfect for carrying on your arm or over your shoulder, this tote bag features an open top and long, skinny handles. This French Market Bag is excellent for summer. It would be a perfect gift for your mother, sister, and friends. With this pattern, you can make an easy remodel for your handbags or bags. It is an easy project for every beginner. You can try it with crochet cotton yarns or acrylic yarns if you want to make it more sturdy.
- 3 skeins Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton in Charcoal or approx. 558yds/510m of another worsted weight, cat. 4 yarn
- Size US G/6 (4mm) crochet hook
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
- Width: 16”/41cm
- Length: 17”/43cm
- Straps: 20”/51cm
- 15 sts = 4”/10cm in pattern
- Ch - chain
- Hdc - half double crochet
- Rep - repeat
- Sc - single crochet
- Sc2tog - single crochet 2 together
- Sc3tog - single crochet 3 together
- Sk - skip
- Sl st - slip stitch
- Sp - space
- St(s) - stitch(es)
- Tr - treble
Crochet Classic Beach Bag:
Bring along this boxy crochet bag on your next outdoor adventure. It's the perfect bag to hold all your beach essentials like sunscreen, sunglasses, and plenty of towels. This is a very convenient summer beach bag. You will not have to carry it in your hand. If you use this bag for going on the beachside, it will put all the things you need in it. It does not carry much weight, but if you want to take it with many things, you can make an opening on either side and fold down the flap. This makes the bag elastic in shape and light in weight.
- Hook: E (3.5mm)
- Yarn: Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton in 3 different colors. 24/7 Cotton is a worsted-weight, mercerized yarn. Individual sizes and amounts are listed below.
- Yarn needle
- ⅜″ twisted rope for handles (two 36″ lengths for adult size, or two 30″ lengths for child size – I found mine at Joann Fabrics)
- Size 4 (½″ diameter) grommet kit – one beach bag uses four grommets (I used this one – it came with 10 grommets and was super easy to use)
- ST/STS (stitch/stitches)
- SL ST (slip stitch)
- SK (skip)
- CH (chain)
- SC (single crochet)
Beach Vibes Bag Pattern:
Crocheting is one of the most popular hobbies around, and this crochet beach bag pattern will help you keep all of your items organized. You can use it for the beach or as a summer bag for any occasion. This crochet bag is perfect for pairing with your spring and summer wardrobe! The chunky yarn works up super fast, making this an excellent project for someone who wants to dive into a new skill or have their first foray into crocheting bags.
- 200 g fingering cotton yarn. I used 2 skeins of Lana Grossa, Cotone Dégradé.
- 3 mm crochet hook
- 4 rings to attach the straps
- 2 cotton straps ( approx 60 cm long)
- Yarn needle
- — US Terms —
- Chain – ch
- Stich(es) – st(s)
- Single crochet – sc
- Double crochet – dc
- Pop corn stitch – PPC st
A Striped Summer Bag Crochet Pattern:
This Striped Summer Bag Crochet Pattern is a great summer bag to crochet! The bright colors are fantastic! You can wear it over your shoulder or across your body. It looks great with almost any outfit but is perfect for those summer outings! It is a great summer bag for your shorts, jeans, and a tee shirt. The best thing about this crochet pattern is that it is easy to personalize the stripes. This crochet bag can also be made into a market tote, beach bag, travel size, or diaper bag with just one change!
- Patons Hempster, 1 ball each of Ecru (A), Coral Reef (B), Mango (C), Sepia (D), and Spice (E)
- US size D/3 3.25mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Darning needle
- Fabric glue
- 30″ leather for straps
- 9 – 9mm rivets
- Swivel hook
- Ch = chain
- Sc = single crochet
Marigold Bucket Bag:
Get ready for the season with our beautiful marigold bucket bag. This number is the perfect size for everything you need to get through the day, with a handy inside pocket and adjustable strap. This Marigold Bucket Bag is a gorgeous accessory to any outfit. Crafted with a stylish crochet pattern, this bag features a roomy interior perfect for carrying your necessities. This crochet bucket bag is ideal for all seasons. With the versatility of crocheting, the pattern is fun to follow and easy to wear.
- Yarn: Lily Sugar ‘n Cream (100% Cotton; 120 yards [109 meters]/70.9 grams): Black (MC, 7 balls), Wine (CC1, 1 ball), Country Red (CC2, 1 ball), Dark Pine (CC3, 1 ball).
- Peaches & Crème (100% Cotton; 120 yards [109 meters]/70.9 grams): Gold (CC 4, 1 ball).
- Hook: US size E/4 (3.5 mm)
This crochet vintage handbag is the perfect size to fit your essentials, a soft and cozy bag made of a beautiful cotton blend. This vintage-looking bag is ideal for holding anything from books cell phones and cosmetic items. The crochet bag is very soft and comfortable to carry around. This bag can be a great gift idea! This beautiful bag is crocheted and is a perfect addition to your wardrobe. The bag is made of 100% cotton yarn, which gives it its bright colors and classic vintage look.
- Natural Biocot
- DMC Natura Just Cotton
- 3.0 mm
The Anna Marie Handbag:
Add a pop of color and feminine touch to your everyday wardrobe with the Anna Marie Crochet Handbag. This handbag is perfect for both day and night; take it to the office or out of town! It features a lining with a front pocket, gusseted interior pockets, and an attached shoulder strap. This handbag is the perfect accessory for any occasion. Lightweight and stylish, this handbag boasts a shoulder-length strap that allows you to easily sling it around your shoulder or wear it over the handle of your rolling luggage.
Yarn: medium weight (4) yarn suitable for handbags and a size 2.5mm crochet hook in:
- Multicolored yarn (455-475m/500-520yd)
- White (50-75m/55-82yd)
- **I used this mixed color yarn: 1pcs 100g/ball 6 Strands Dyed Milk Cotton Children's Yarn Color Wool Coarse Wool Diy Hand Knitting Crochet Yarn| | – AliExpress
- **And this white yarn: Wholesale Price High-Quality Soft Warm Diy Milk Cotton Threads Baby Wool For Hand Knitting Crochet Yarn 50 Grams/pc – Yarn – AliExpress
Other yarn option that is very nice too:
- **This page contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission from qualifying sales at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU
- Crochet hook: size 2.5mm (the packaging says 4mm, but I like my bags not to have holes and be a bit firm, so I used a size 2.5mm instead of a 4mm hook)
- Gauge: 5x5cm/2x2inc = 9sc x 11 rows (single crochet back and forth)
- Ch(s): chain(s)
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- Hdc: half double crochet
- Star st: star stitch
Summer Mini Tote:
Crochet this little tote in a jiffy – it only takes a few hours. It's the perfect canvas for your beach bag or as a great carryall for your water bottle. Be sure to leave that bulky tote at home! This Crochet Summer Mini Tote is the perfect beach bag! This bag is ideal for summer vacations, with enough room to fit your towel, sunscreen, and water bottle. The mini size is great for stowing away in small spaces, like luggage or backpacks. It also makes a great bathroom accessory that can hang on any door.
- –Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn in Lemonade and Turquoise (Use 2 strands of yarn at the same time. I ordered 2 balls of each color)
- –SizeI-5.50mm Crochet Hook and a smaller crochet hook to fit through the base piece
- –Base Piece from Amazon
- –Button for closure
- –Yarn Needle
- Ch(s): chain(s)
- YO: Yarn Over
- St(s): Stitch(es)
- Sl st: slip stitch
- SK: Skip
- SC: Single Crochet
- DC: Double Crochet
- Popcorn Stitch: 5 DC in same st, remove hook from loop, insert hook in 1st DC of grouping, put loop back on the hook and pull through, folding all five sts in half creating
- a popcorn look.
- WS: Wrong Side (inside of bag)
- RS: Right Side (outside of bag)
Crochet Basket Bag is an excellent idea for summer, the beach, and other warm days. It's perfect for your makeup, jewelry, phone, and more. This handmade crochet bag is ideal for a day at the lake or pool. The bottom of the bag will keep your belongings dry when you sit down on a wet chair or couch. It hangs across your body like a hobo handbag allowing you to keep your hands free and have both hands free to not forget any essential items while on vacation!
- - 2 skeins of 250 grams of The Tape from We Are Knitters
- - A 7mm / 2 UK crochet hook
- - A small tapestry needle to join and finish
Give your little one the perfect bag by crocheting a rainbow bag! Make sure to add some fun accessories, so they can be the ideal traveler, and let them know you're always here for them. This is the perfect project for summer! It's a great beginner project but will satisfy a more accomplished crocheter looking for a quick and easy task. Use scrap yarn to make a cute rainbow bag for knitting or crochet supplies, your office lunch, or any other "necessities" you might need on hand.
- yarn in 8 colors
- 2 buttons
- yarn needle
Colors (my color choices in parentheses)
- Primary (gray)
- A: purple
- B: dark blue
- C: light blue
- D: green
- E: yellow
- F: orange
- G: red
**slst to join at the end of each round and ch1
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- st: stitch
- slst: slip stitch
- inc: increase
- ( )*#: repeat instructions the number of times stated
- (#): number of stitches in the round
- FO: finish off
Bonjour Belle Market Bag:
It introduces the Bonjour Belle Market Bag, a perfectly-sized bag for daily adventures. With its simple design, this bag is fun to make, and the result is so pretty. An excellent choice for an intermediate crocheter looking to try something new! The Bonjour Belle Market Bag is a stylish and trendy crochet bag. It features a classic black color that goes with everything, making it the perfect choice for your next shopping trip.
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton, Weight 4/Medium (100% mercerized cotton) 3.5 oz / 186 yds
- (3 balls) Taupe 8.5 oz / 460 yards
- Crochet hook size G/6 (4.0 mm)
- Wood Bag Handles (2) approx size 5.75”x 5.12″*
- Stitch Markers (4)
- Tapestry Needle
- ch(s) = chain(s)
- dc = double crochet
- WS = wrong side
- RS = right side
- sl st = slip stitch
- sp = space
- sc = single crochet
- sc3tog = single crochet 3 stitches together (see special stitches section below)
- sc2tog = single crochet 2 stitches together (see special stitches section below)
Find More Free Crochet Patterns:
Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns: Discover the joy of crocheting beautiful baby blankets with our selection of free blanket patterns. These designs are perfect for beginners and experts alike and keep your little one cozy and stylish. Dive into our blog post now!
Free Crochet Apron Patterns: Add a touch of handmade charm to your kitchen with our compilation of free crochet apron patterns. Our blog post offers a variety of designs for all abilities, allowing you to create a unique and practical accessory.
Free Crochet Flower Patterns: Bring the beauty of nature indoors with our free crochet flower patterns. Our blog post features a variety of designs, suitable for all skill levels. Start creating your own floral masterpieces today!
Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns: Explore our free crochet baby blanket pattern selection, offering a range of designs for all abilities. Our blog post will guide you through creating a warm and lovingly handmade blanket for your little one.